Lauren Levin Geary Attorney At Law

Experience. Personal Attention. Results.

Attorney Lauren Levin Geary
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Motor Vehicle Accident FAQ

Getting The Information You Need After A Pennsylvania Car, Truck Or Motorcycle Accident

Most people know that the first thing to do is call the police after a vehicle collision. Having an accident report from law enforcement is critical to successfully filing a claim. However, when the dust settles after an accident, injured people and their families often have a lot of questions. Listed below are answers to some of the most common questions that attorney Lauren Levin Geary hears at her firm.

If I get a ticket after the crash, does that mean the accident is my fault?

In some – but not all – cases, a ticket can indicate fault. Tickets are often used as evidence of fault in personal injury cases. However, it takes two vehicles to have a crash. This means that, in many cases, the fault is actually shared to some degree. Insurance companies tend to rely on the reports that are filed by the officers who were at the scenes when assessing fault. If you are unsure who was at fault, it is in your best interest to speak with a personal injury attorney to understand your options. Motorcycle drivers are often not seen and, therefore, thought to be at fault, when in reality, the driver “looked but failed to see” them. Lauren offers a free consultation so that you can get specific questions answered.

How do my medical bills get paid if I am pursuing a personal injury claim?

There are two things to consider in this instance: the person who is deemed to be at fault for the crash and what type of insurance you have. If the other party is at fault, then their insurance company should be the liable and responsible party. If you have personal injury protection (PIP) or “no-fault coverage,” then your insurance can cover 80% of your medical bills up to whatever your PIP limit is, typically not less than $10,000.

Even though the vehicles are pretty banged up, I feel OK. Should I still see a doctor?

The answer is always yes. Why? Because some injuries are not evident right away. Concussions, internal injuries and even broken bones may not “hurt” due to adrenaline or shock. You and any passengers should always see a medical professional immediately after a crash. Always take the ambulance. Any charges for medical care will be covered by your insurance or the other party’s insurance. If you do pursue a personal injury claim, these exams and medical records are very important.

Is Pennsylvania a no-fault state?

Yes and no. Pennsylvania is both. The state requires all drivers to have personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. This will cover your medical costs. However, if another driver causes serious injury, then you may be able to pursue a claim from their insurance company. There are two types of insurance coverage: limited tort and full tort. How much you can sue for will depend on which type of insurance the other party has. Lauren has extensive experience with insurance issues and can give you a clearer idea of what to expect in a free consultation.

How is fault determined in a car accident in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania uses a “modified comparative fault” rule if both drivers are to blame for the crash. To determine “who owes what,” a jury will be directed to look at the total dollar amount of the damages claimed by the person who is suing and the percentage of fault of each driver. You can be 50% at fault and still pursue a claim.

How long after a Pennsylvania vehicle crash can you sue?

You have up to two years after a crash to file a personal injury claim in Pennsylvania. It is measured by the date on which the accident happens. This is for injuries and instances when someone is killed.

Is auto insurance required by law in Pennsylvania?

Yes. Pennsylvania requires drivers to have “financial responsibility” insurance on any currently registered vehicle. What does this cover? This insurance will typically cover the property damage or injuries that a driver causes in a motor vehicle crash.

Set Up A Free Q&A With Lauren Levin Geary

Lauren helps injured people get answers to their car accident questions. Speak with her about the  process and what you can expect. She is here to be of assistance. Call her firm, Lauren Levin Geary, Attorney at Law, at 215-656-4050 and set up a free Q&A session with Lauren. You can also reach her by using this contact form. Lauren helps injured people throughout the greater Philadelphia area.